Coming Soon – Two New App Screens

Home Forums KSP for Android Coming Soon – Two New App Screens

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Kanjipad Kanjipad 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kanjipad
    Kanjipad
    Keymaster

[See the full post at: Coming Soon – Two New App Screens]

kat
    kat
    Participant

Why is the progress bar blue in these pictures? Is that a new feature or have I just not noticed it before?

tmasters
    Participant

The color change happens at the same time as the icon appears saying you are up to date. I basically keep going until the progress bar turns blue.

(‘Up-to-date’ just means you are keeping up with the learning rate you said you wanted in settings. If you havent seen it maybe you have the learning rate too high. And I think you actually have to be ahead of the target to be notified of being up-to-date – something like having a day’s worth of kanji learned ahead of time.)

kat
    kat
    Participant

So you mean I should be aiming to get ahead by a day? I have been stopping as soon as I have a net score of zero.

Kanjipad
    Kanjipad
    Keymaster

Hi kat,

Either approach is fine. The app considers you as up to date if you have a net score of zero (known-expected) and no stale items, but the blue light means you have enough reserve to remain ahead until the next session.

If you just scrape over the line and then stop, you will be behind again as soon as one item comes up to its due date.

Personally I would recommend reviewing until you see the blue light. The up-to-date icon does not reappear every time you cross the threshold, because that could happen several times a session if you are clearing the stale pile as soon as items enter it.

There is supposed to be a red light in the progress bar if you are more than a day behind… but I have not tested that extensively. I’ll check it out now and report back to you.

Kanjipad
    Kanjipad
    Keymaster

I should add, the stale items are not binned by days – they go stale at a specific time specified with high precision, so there is a dribble of stale items through the day. The idea is that you can deal with those in the lift or at the bus-stop in twos and threes, rather than have a hundred waiting when you get home.

Kanjipad
    Kanjipad
    Keymaster

I haven’t yet explained the original post about the two new app screens… but I’ll expand on it today. Basically, there is a Welcome screen that suggests when to read a lesson and when to get on with drawing practice. If you follow its advice, you will remain ahead of your kanji practice and be seeing the kanji in the pad after you have read the mnemonic in the lesson – it is more efficient that way.

There is also a Deck-viewing screen, which allows you to claim items as very well known in bulk. Use this very sparingly, as you will miss the early stages of reviewing those items, but for many of you there is no point putting well-known kanji like ‘sun’ and ‘moon’ into the ‘just-learned’ pile. To claim them on this view, just drag your finger across them and that toggles them to blue, indicating they are now claimed. The kanji are shown in batches of 25, and you see the next batch by swiping in the keyword trough. You can also jump ahead by 250 kanji using the fast forward icon.

At the very end of the deck, beyond the last kanji, there is a spanner icon that gives access to deck-resetting functions. Most people should leave this alone, but it could be useful if you start work on the app, get distracted, and when you get back to leaning kanji your progress graph has a three-month flat line. Reset the starting date and rset your knowledge to zero, and you can have a much prettier progress graph without that unsightly 3-month delay.

kat
    kat
    Participant

So how do you get to the Deck screen?

Kanjipad
    Kanjipad
    Keymaster

In the Flashcard view, click on the top left ‘Deck’ icon. In previous versions, this region showed the number of the kanji within the deck, but there was no icon. Now it has an icon that takes you to the Deck view.

I’ll do a screen capture and upload it…

Kanjipad
    Kanjipad
    Keymaster

Flashcard View

Image added to the original post… The deck icon is the one in the top left, with the # symbol.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.